By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cookout employees extinguish SUV fire in drive-thru
Placeholder Image

LITHONIA, Ga. (AP) — Employees at a fast-food restaurant in suburban Atlanta saved a woman and others nearby after her SUV burst into flames in the drive-thru.

WSB-TV ( ) reports Joanna Young's Ford Explorer suddenly turned off while she and her husband were at a drive-thru Wednesday in Lithonia. Young said she tried to turn the vehicle back on when flames shot out from under the hood.

Young says she ran toward the restaurant after seeing flames. Employees then rushed out to the vehicle with fire extinguishers to put the fire out. Young said the fire was under control before the fire department arrived.

The wheel wells of her Ford Explorer were melted and the hood is charred.