By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Irma cleanup continues Wednesday
Newton County Fire Services personnel remove a large tree from Todd Drive Tuesday afternoon. - photo by Staff Report

Editor's note: The story originally listed only four roads in the process of being cleared, instead of the correct 10 roads. 

COVINGTON, Ga. - Ten roads are still in the process of being cleared by public works crews in Newton County Wednesday afternoon.

Pitts Chapel and Country Creek Roads, Gum Creek Circle, Belcher Road, Par Farm Road, McMahon Road, Dixie Lane, Dixie Trail, Wilson at Fieldcrest Roads and Digby Road all have an open call for service, along with a power pole down at 40 Evelyn Road. 

Power is also still out to more than 1,000 residents. Snapping Shoals EMC is reporting 564 customers without power, Georgia Power 1,266 and several Covington utilities customers also without power as of Wednesday afternoon.

Hurricane Irma - Newton County
Newton County personnel monitoring recovery efforts at the Newton County Public Works building on Tuesday. - photo by Staff Report

Immediately after Tropical Storm Irma moved through Newton County, public works crews, Sheriff’s Office deputies and Fire Service personnel began clearing 80 roads throughout the county. Many utility poles were also knocked down by falling trees and debris, leaving more than 14,000 customers without power.

Newton County emergency personnel managed operations during the storm from the City of Covington’s Fire Station 22 on Alcovy Road and managed recovery efforts from Newton County’s Public Works building on Piper Road off Highway 36.

Cleanup has been underway since Tuesday with most trees removed from roadways and utilities being restored.

Any Newton County resident who has yard waste from the tropical storm can bring it to the Newton County Landfill, 205 Lower River Road, Covington, free of charge.

Newton County residents began feeling the effects of Tropical Storm Irma Monday morning and tropical-storm force winds continued in the area through early Tuesday morning.