By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Social Circle falls to 0-2 after 38-0 loss
Placeholder Image

The Social Circle Redskins suffered their second defeat of the season with a 38 -0 loss to Hancock Central Bulldogs Friday night at Stephens Park.

The Redskins battled a very physical Hancock Central team without three starters and with a quarterback that is recovering from a rib injury suffered in the season opener. Senior quarterback Michael Hightower was carried off the field last week after a blindside hit from a Banks County defender. Hightower appeared fully recovered and was able to start for the Redskins in their home opener.

The Redskins received the ball first, but were unable to move the chains on offense. Junior kicker Tanner Preston had a busy night for the Redskins. Preston punted the ball eight times for an average of 32 yards.

The defense caused the first turnover of the game with a hit by Kyle McCaleb that caused a Hancock player to fumble the ball on their opening drive. Logan Hicks recovered the fumble that put the Redskins offense in great field position. Hightower quickly connected a 9-yard pass to senior running back Milton Harrison. Unfortunately for Social Circle, the Bulldogs' defense displayed several blitz packages and disrupted the flow of the Redskins offense all night.

The Bulldogs quickly scored their first touchdown with a 15-yard run from running back Deonte Franklin. A two-point conversion by running back Marcus Walker gave the Bulldogs an 8-0 lead in the first quarter. Franklin would later find the end zone again with a 5-yard run that would extend the lead to 14. The Bulldogs were unable to connect on the extra point, missing a total of five points after touchdowns.

During the second quarter, it was déjà vu again for the Redskins as Hightower was injured with 8:50 left before halftime. Freshmen quarterback Ryan Fitzgerald entered the game, but was quickly sacked, causing a fumble that would set up a 1-yard run by Franklin. The Bulldogs scored a pair of touchdowns to close out a halftime lead of 26-0.

Early in the third quarter, Bulldogs’ quarterback Dontavious Lowe connected on a 51-yard touchdown pass to receiver Xavier French. The PAT again was no good, but Hancock Central led 32-0.

Hightower continue to show his senior leadership by returning to the game after sitting out most of the second quar

Lowe continued to the lead the Bulldogs down the field connecting on a 40-yard pass and then a 21-yard touchdown pass for their final score of the game. The PAT fell short of the goal post and the Bulldogs took a 38-0 lead.

Along with senior running back Harrison, Hightower showed the Bulldogs defense that the Redskins never quit. In the fourth quarter, the two seniors broke several tackles with runs of 15 yards a piece.

David Seawright, entering his second year as the Redskins head coach, continued to encourage his players to keep playing hard. Seawright was impressed with the toughness of Hightower as he returned to the game after reinjuring his ribs.

"With three starters out, we got to get better," offensive coordinator Brook Adams said. "We got to overcome adversity and grow up, grow up fast. Overall we played better the second half, because we kept fighting."

Defensively, senior linebacker Kyle McCaleb led the Redskins with seven solo tackles. McCaleb, a two-way starter, provided energy with sideline to sideline pursuit on every play. Logan Hicks, Ryan Madsen, and MJ Hester also recorded three tackles for the Redskins.

The Redskins will look to break into the win column next week when they travel to Augusta to play Aquinas Fighting Irish Friday.

ter. With the offensive line struggling against the defensive pressure of the Bulldogs, the Redskins ground game was ineffective.