PLANO, TX – In the 2017 NJCAA Division III Men’s Championship, Oxford Emory (GA) tallied 27.5 points to win its third national championship in a row at the Collin County TennisFacilities in Plano, Texas Thurday. The Eagles edged out Brookdale (NJ) which accumulated 26 points in the tournament.
Oxford’s men’s tennis program has now six national championships (2006, 2007, 2009, 2015, 2016, and 2017).
Some notable performances from the Oxford Eagles:
- Guillermo Cabral of Oxford notched three singles champions in the tournament. Guillermo Cabra won flight one, while Akshay Raghuram and Gordon Hua won flights three and five, respectively.
- The Eagles also claimed flight three’s double championship thanks to Henry Hua and Anuraaj Sonawala.
- Brookdale’s Safie Moamen and Jacob Evans garnered singles titles by winning flight two and four.
- Mike Colville notched flight six to help earn Rowan Gloucester (NJ) a singles champion.
- The duo of S. Moamen and Mostafa Moamen along with the pairing of Evans Emire Hamzic captured doubles championships.
We'll have more later in the week on the Oxford tennis team's accomplishment.