COVINGTON, Ga. - Newton County School System was well represented at the recent Georgia Music Educators Association’s District IV Honor Chorus as 47 students were selected to participate in the prestigious event held Jan. 11-12 at Heritage High School in Conyers.
According to Chantae Pittman, director of choral activities for Alcovy High School, students were selected by their choral directors for the GMEA District IV Honor Chorus.
“These were some of the finest vocal musicians who represented each school,” she said. “These students prepared their music prior to attending honor chorus for two days’ worth of rehearsals. The culminating performance took place at Stephenson High School.”
Pittman noted that the District IV Honor Chorus is comprised of students representing DeKalb, Rockdale, Newton, Morgan, Jasper and Butts counties.
“The students who earned a place in this ensemble are among the most accomplished vocalists in their school district,” she said.
NCSS students selected for the GMEA District IV Honor Chorus include the following:
- Alcovy High School: Aliesha Frederick, Victoria Johnson, Danielle Todus, Noah Kent, Abbi Kent, Breanna Simon, Jordan Young, Austin Wells, Eris Allen, Cameron Jackson, Hannah Lee, Jalen and Cason;
- Eastside High School: Lindsey Branche, David Castillo, Bryce Owenby, Mary Audray Edwards, Kaylee Kimble, and Maria Palmer;
- Newton High School: Jainaba Drammeh, Destiny Vickerie, Tatyana Eddie, and Rhonda Reynolds;
- Clements Middle School: Alana Barnett, Katrina Birdsong, Lynia Brown, Jasmine Crouch, Silifat Diaby, Jada Harmon, Kya Hinkson, Alexandra Mapp, and Niya Viel;
- Cousins Middle School: Malik Hanif-Norman, Destinee Releford Scott, Mya Bazan, Kayla Woolford, Kashoua Xiong, Bailee Ellis, Kaitlyn Elliot, Brianna Clark, Lexi Peters, and Jamya Brundage;
- Indian Creek Middle School: Charleigh Adams and Reilly Darnell; and
- Newton County Theme School: Gracie Bates, Ansley Douglas, Caroline Chiappetta, and Anslee Allen.