By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
How to register NCSS student
Placeholder Image

Student registration and open house programs for the upcoming school year are right around the corner for Newton County Schools.

Registration for new students will be from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 22-26 at NCSS schools, and there are a number of documents parents/guardians must provide when enrolling a student. Without the documents, a child cannot be enrolled in school.

Parents/guardians will need to provide the following:

• Two proofs of Newton County residency: a utility bill and lease agreement/mortgage statement

• Parent or guardian photo ID

• Proof of custody/guardianship (if the birth parent is not registering the student)

• A certified copy of the student’s birth certificate

• The student’s Social Security card, or signed waiver request

• A copy of the child’s immunization record

• The child’s Georgia Certificate of Eye, Ear and Dental Examination (This is only required for students entering a Georgia public school for the first time.)

• Withdrawal forms and/or a copy of the child’s final report card from a previous school

• A copy of the child’s test-score result form

• A copy of the child’s special education records (if the student has a disability)

• A copy of the student’s Discipline Report (for students entering grades 7-12)

• A completed student registration packet

According to school system officials, the adult who is registering the student must be the parent named on the birth certificate unless official guardianship papers are presented.

In the case of divorced parents, only the parent who has primary physical custody as designated in the final divorce decree will be permitted to register the student. Final divorce paperwork must be presented during student registration.

School system officials also note that the name(s) on the proofs of residency must be the parent(s) named on the birth certificate or designated as official guardian on the official paperwork.

If the proof of residency is in the name of a stepparent, a marriage certificate must be presented that proves the stepparent and the official parent/guardian are married at registration.

No notarized letters will be accepted in lieu of official guardianship papers.

If a student who is transferring from a Georgia public school and is enrolling in fourth, sixth or ninth grade does not provide proof of passing the reading and math portions of the Georgia CRCT, the student will be placed in the previous grade until acceptable proof is provided.

School system officials also note that if a student is 16 years or older and doesn’t provide an acceptable Discipline Report upon enrollment, the student will not be permitted to enroll in the Newton County School System.

A student registration packet can be found by visiting the NCSS website at