By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Walmart employee terminated after mass shooting threat
quandaries Howard
Quantarius Lamarco Howard. - photo by Submitted Photo

COVINGTON, Ga. - A former Walmart employee - terminated Friday, Aug. 30 for threatening a mass shooting - was arrested and charged with felony obstruction and criminal trespass by the Covington Police Department Tuesday, Sept. 3.

Quantarius Lamarco Howard was issued a criminal trespass warning Friday, Aug. 30 by the Newton County Sheriff's Office after the NCSO was notified Howard, who had been terminated from employment, needed to be escorted from Walmart's property, according to the NCSO incident report.

"Howard reportedly made comments in the presence of other associates employed by Walmart in reference to if they want to see a real active shooter, give him a gun," according to the incident report.

Walmart management and other associates noticed Howard experienced "some form of mental health issues" when he did not receive a promotion weeks prior.

On Tuesday, Sept. 3, the CPD was dispatched to Walmart in reference to a trespassing complaint, and upon arrival, Assistant Chief Philip Bradford and Officer Matt Holbrook made contact with Howard, who showed them the trespass warning issued by the NCSO. 

"While speaking with him, Howard made several strange statements that he spoke with corporate, and he told them he was not fired and he was returning to work," according to the CPD incident report. "Howard also stated that he spoke with the president, then clarified, the president of the world."

Holbrook and Bradford attempted to place Howard under arrest for trespassing but Howard resisted, stating "you can't arrest me," according to the incident report.

Officer Contrareus Robinson arrived at the scene as back-up and attempted to help place Howard under arrest.

"After approximately 30 seconds, Chief Bradford told Howard to put his hands behind his back, or he would get tased," according to the report. "A few moments later, I heard the taser go off, and Howard gave me his hands."

Howard was handcuffed and transported to the Newton County Detention Center.