By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Murder suspect McMullen surrenders
Placeholder Image

Ketitra Techelle Jones was shot and killed late Friday morning, and police are charging Jones' former boyfriend Hannibal Wayne McMullen, a man she had a temporary protection order against, with murder.

McMullen surrendered to officials at the Newton County Sheriff's Office around 5 p.m. Saturday, ending a two-day manhunt

It's been less then two months since Jones was granted a temporary protection order against McCullen for allegedly stalking and threatening her. But that TPO didn't stop him from reportedly chasing her down Washington Street in his vehicle and shooting her while she drove hers.

According to witnesses, McCullen, 47, was driving his blue Toyota Corolla north on Washington Street near Carroll Street, with his arm extended out the open window, firing into a silver Dodge Ram truck driven by 26-year-old Jones. She crashed into a support pole at the Pure Station and died of the gunshot wounds she sustained. One witness said he had thought the crash was an accident but when he opened the door to the truck to help, he saw Jones was covered in blood.

Authorities had been in contact with McCullen through a cell phone Friday and Saturday, and Cpt. Ken Malcom of the Covington Police Department said the suspect, who made the initial contact with them, was "scared."

McMullen originally told police he was going to turn himself in before lunch Saturday, and once lunch passed he said he would turn himself in shortly, before finally surrendering around 5 p.m., said Malcom.

McMullen is known by many throughout the community, having owned a car detailing shop for a number of years at the corner of Brown and Clark streets in Covington.
Though records show McCullen does have previous charges against him (including battery against a different woman in the late 80s), none were more recent then 2000 until Jones reported he was stalking her.

Records show that Jones applied for a TPO on Dec. 7, 2011. In the request she wrote that beginning in early September until that date "I have asked Wayne McMullen to stop calling and harassing me and stop coming to my job looking for me. I received a call from the respondent (McMullen) and he said if he can't have me he would kill me."

Newton County Superior Court Judge Ken Wynne granted Jones a protective order on Dec. 20, 2011, ordering McCullen to stay at least 500 yards away from Jones and to have no contact with her or her family. He was served with the paperwork that day. Just 52 days later, Jones was killed.

Malcom said Saturday that police believed McMullen was traveling back and forth between several locations in Covington and Atlanta while on the run.

"We had info that for a good portion of the time he was mobile," Malcom said.

Police officials along with McMullen's family and friends had been calling and texting McMullen on his cell phone requesting his surrender.

McMullen is being held and interviewed in the Newton County Detention Center.

"We're going to continue our investigation, conduct interviews and communicate with district attorney's office," Malcom said.

McMullen is charged with one count of murder.

Reporter Gabriel Khouli contributed to this report.