By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Gas leak may have lead to hospitalization
Placeholder Image

A natural gas leak may have contributed to the hospitalization of a 75-year-old female living at 6189 Geiger St.

According to the Newton County Tax Assessor's website, the home is owned by Annie Laura Johnson.

Covington Assistant Fire Marshal Tony Smith said a neighbor went to check on the woman - as he does every day - when he saw through the window that she was slumped over in a chair. He could smell gas and called the Covington Fire Department.

The neighbor then managed to remove the woman from the home. She was taken to Newton Medical Center.

However, the woman was a known-diabetic, and authorities are unsure whether carbon monoxide or her diabetes contributed to her unconscious state, Smith said.

Fire officials did find a gas leak in the crawl space of the home. The neighbor said the woman had had a new furnace installed recently, but it is not known if that caused the leak.