By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire consumes house on Durden Circle
A fire consumes the house at 7122 Durden Circle in Covington Tuesday night. - photo by Courtesy of Covington Fire Marshal Tony Smith

A chimney fire destroyed the home at 7122 Durden Circle in Covington Tuesday night.

A single man was in the home and he escaped with no injuries, according to Covington Fire Marshal Tony Smith.

The call came into 911 around 8:17 p.m. Tuesday, but firefighters were still working the fire two hours later.

Though the cause was not given Tuesday night, fire officials did say this week that pre-fabricated fireplaces are not meant to have fires burn in them continusouly for a long period of time. Fires should be put out periodocially in pre-fabricated fireplaces, and the fireplaces should be allowed to cool, Newton County Fire Chief Kevin O'Brien said earlier this week when talking about preparing for the impending ice storm.