The county has proposed requiring pet owners to pay for a license for each of their cats and dogs. The license fees would help fund Newton County Animal Control and allow the county to create a database of pets to ensure that all pets receives rabies vaccinations.
A county official will present the proposed ordinance to the Covington City Council tonight at its 5:30 work session. County officials are gauging the reactions of the county's municipalities before voting on the licensing requirement. Newton County Animal Control provides services for both unincorporated Newton County and all of the county's municipalities.
The agenda for the Covington council 's regularly called 6:30 p.m. meeting is below:
1. Call to order.
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on October 4, 2010.
3. Discussion of the final reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
"AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISION OF TITLE 16 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF AMENDING SECTION 16.12.020 (PLANNING COMMISSION) OF CHAPTER 16.12 (PROCEDURES) THEREOF TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES."
4. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
5. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
6. Discussion of applications to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption only for:
- Dollar General #85, 6185 Highway 278
- Dollar General #7057, 6185 Highway 278
7. Discussion of participating with Harristown Park, LP in the replacement of existing storm sewers along Conyers and Reynolds Streets.
8. Discussion of a citizen's appeal of the Historic Preservation Commission's decision.
9. Discussion of a request for street closures in Clark's Grove on Halloween.
10. Discussion of a request for street closure for New Hope Baptist Church's Harvest Festival and hayride on October 30th.
11. Discussion of a request from GMA for Covington to be a stop on the 2011 Georgia Cities Foundation's Heart & Soul Bus Tour.
12. Discussion of road closure on November 18th for the lighting of the Historic Courthouse.
13. Discussion of road closure on December 4th for the Covington-Newton Christmas Parade.
14. Discussion of bids for the purchase of a dump truck for the LAS.
15. Discussion of two invoices payable to Pittman Construction for airport rehab work.
16. Public comments.
17. Recommendations of the City Manager.
18. Recommendations of the Mayor and Council.