WHERE: Southern Heartland Art Gallery, 1132 Monticello St.
WHEN: 6-9 p.m. Thursday
COST: Free, donations accepted, benefits Southern Heartland Arts Guild
CALL (770) 788-8799
You can celebrate fine art and performances, good food and darn good coffee at Art, Melodies and Java, 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Southern Heartland Art Gallery, 1132 Monticello St., on the square in downtown Covington.
The event, a showcase of the local visual and performing arts, will be presented by the gallery and Plain Nuts. It will feature musicians, dancers, a poetry reading and desserts and coffee.
"It’s a celebration of the arts, all arts," said Margaret Warfield of Southern Heartland, an organizer of the event.
There’s no admission charge, but donations will be accepted to benefit the Southern Heartland Art Guild to help with classrooms.
- Music and songs with Scott and Cheryl Landsburg at 6:15 p.m.
- Songs with Lintonia Sheppard at 6:30 p.m.
- Jazz dance with Main Stream Dance at 6:45 p.m.
- Songs with David Payne at 7 p.m.
- Ballet dance with Main Stream Dance at 7:15 p.m.
- Music and songs with Jeff Hay at 7:30 p.m.
- Poetry with Wendy Herrington at 8 p.m.
- Songs with Heather Morrison at 8:10 p.m.
- Songs with Robert Rhoades at 8:25 p.m.
- Music and songs with Jeff Hay at 8:45 p.m.
Six, 30-inch round tabletops painted by six of the artists will be sold at auction. Homemade sweets by guild members and Sweet Treats will be available, and Plain Nuts will be open to serve free coffee and sweets and will have light items for sale from its menu.
Guild members have compiled a cookbook, "Art in the Kitchen," that will be released and for sale, and local author Candice Shipley will be on hand to sign copies of her new book, "Lacey’s Room."
The evening will also serve to kickoff the "I Am Downtown Covington" project, a collaborative effort to tell the stories of seven downtown business owners, by graphic designer Claudia L. Callaway, the East Metro Atlanta Christian Writers and Main Street Covington.
Learn more by calling (770) 788-8799.