By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Revolution, Lady Revs seasons come to conclusions this week
Placeholder Image

The Georgia Lady Revolution remained in the hunt for first place in the Southeast Conference of the Women’s Premier Soccer League after splitting its last two matches.

Friday, the Lady Revs defeated the Alabama FC as the Rockdale Youth Soccer Association dedicated the evening to fighting cystic fibrosis.

The match was dedicated to Chase Eatmon, who is currently battling the disease, with all proceeds from a raffle for the players’ purple jerseys, going to support cystic fibrosis.

Six days earlier, the Lady Revs hosted defending national champion, and current first-place Gulf Coast Texans. Throughout the first 15 minutes, Georgia held the advantage controlling the ball and possession, and getting a good look on goal with the Texans’ goalkeeper tipping a save onto the crossbar.

However, the Texans got on the scoreboard in the 18th minute, and began to pull away.

Leading 1-0 after halftime, Gulf Coast took over possession, scoring goals in the 84th and 87th minute to cap the victory and stay in first place, one point ahead of the Lady Revolution.

The Lady Revs close out the regular season Saturday at the Knoxville Force, before the women’s conference tournament begins July 12.

The Revolution’s men’s team also plays its regular season finale Saturday, closing things out at home against the Tampa Bay Marauders at 7:30 p.m.

Georgia will need a win in that match, Tuesday’s makeup date against Miami United and a home matchup against Cape Coral which ended after press time Saturday in order to reach the conference tournament, also beginning July 12.

The Revs stepped away from National Premier Soccer League play June 22 to play in the Capital Cup, against visiting Georgia Tech FC.

Despite outshooting Georgia Tech 16-6, and taking nine corner kicks, while giving up two, the Revs lost their first ever Capital Cup in its three years of existence.

Georgia Tech FC scored two second-half goals and withstood a Revolution barrage to send it into overtime, where Jordan Davis scored the winner in the 118th minute.

Trailing 2-0 with 5 minutes left in regulation, the Revs got a goal from Kwadwo Poku in the 85th minute, and another from Nikos Papanikolopoulos in the 90th minute.