By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Oven may be to blame for fire
Social Circle Fire Department

SOCIAL CIRCLE, Ga. — The occupants of a duplex may have been using their oven for heat, leading to a fire early Thursday.

One occupant of the home was hurt.

The Social Circle Fire Department responded to 498B Ronthor Drive at 5:51 a.m. and arrived to find heavy smoke in one apartment.

One occupant was taken to Piedmont Walton Hospital with burns to the hands. Social Circle fire Chief Ken Zaydel said EMS personnel told him the injuries were thought to be minor.

“One side of the duplex has extensive damage, but it’s not a total loss,” he said.

Zaydel said the fire started in the kitchen.

Walton County Fire Rescue assisted in the response.

The county’s firefighters also responded to a fire in a barn at 2630 Clarence Odum Road NW in the Campton community at 6:40 a.m. Wednesday.

No one was hurt and the animals escaped. A heat lamp may have been to blame.