By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Children eat small packets of detergent
Placeholder Image

ATLANTA (AP) - The Georgia Poison Center is warning parents to be on guard after young children have eaten laundry detergent "pods."

Authorities say the small pods are packaged in bright colors, which has led some children to mistake them for candy.

Jessica Sutton of Mableton tells WSB-TV ( that her daughter ate some of the concentrated detergent on Wednesday after it fell from a shelf. Her daughter began throwing up, and she called the Georgia Poison Center and was told the detergent can cause the throat, tongue and lips to swell, threatening a child's breathing.

Dr. Gaylord Lopez of the Georgia Poison Control Center says they've received several emergency calls related to the products in recent months.