By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Newton swept on Senior Night
Placeholder Image

The Lady Rams varsity soccer team took on Woodland Tuesday evening for Newton’s Senior Night, with the Lady Wolfpack just edged out Newton 1-0 in non-region play.

The game took on an unusual tone after official didn’t show up for the opening half, forcing the teams’ assistant coaches to take the whistle before finishing the shortened contest due to the late start.

Despite the game’s award opening half of play, Woodland seemed unaffected by the awkwardness, netting its first goal in the opening 30 minutes of play. Woodland’s Mari Durr scored the only goal of the contest with 16 minutes left in the first half and it turned out that Durr’s score was all the Lady Wolfpack needed.

Newton came out with aggression in the second half, and had chances at striking a goal, but, the Lady Rams were unable to get the ball in the net. 

Despite coming up just short on Senior Night, Newton honored seniors Genevieve Antoine and Lacey Brackett in their final home game of the 2014 season.

Brackett, who has set Newton High School records on the pitch since her sophomore season, hopes to continue playing next season after graduating from Newton.

“Lacey is impossible to replace,” Newton coach David Alexander said.  “We’re hoping she can land somewhere and continue to play soccer.”

Boys fall

It was very chippy and intense game when the Newton boys varsity soccer team took the field against Woodland in the night’s late contest.

Words were traded between both teams and a pair of yellow cards were issued, but it was the Wolfpack that kept their cool long enough to pull out a 4-1 victory over the Rams.

Newton started off the game with great energy and kept it competitive, but the Rams just didn’t have the same aggression in the second half.

”The first half was a battle,’ Newton coach Lavon White said. “But, overall, I liked the way we kept our heads through another battle.”

The first half was a back-and-forth contest between both teams as the Rams and Wolfpack moved the ball, pressed on defenses and put shots on the goal. Despite an even start, Woodland struck first with a goal 24 minutes into the game.

Newton responded on a penalty kick from Harrison Stamps with four minutes left in the half, evening the score 1-1 at the half.

In the second period, it was all Wolfpack.

Woodland scored three goals and kept Newton off the scoreboard, preserving the 4-1 victory.

Newton returns to action Friday night when the Rams travel to Morrow for their final regular season region match of the year.