By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Oxford man arrested after crashing cars and leaving scene
Wyatt George
Wyatt George

COVINGTON, Ga. – One woman was flown to an Atlanta trauma center and an Oxford man was arrested on multiple charges, including DUI and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon following a multi-vehicle crash Saturday morning.

According to a Covington Police Department incident report, officers were dispatched to the crash involving five vehicles with one driver trapped at Highway 142 and Highway 278 just before 10:30 a.m. March 24. Dispatch also advised that one of the drivers had exited his vehicle and fled on foot toward the Ingles.

When officers arrived at the scene, they began controlling traffic and speaking with witnesses while Covington Fire Department and Newton County EMS began medical treatment of the victims. A witness at the scene said the driver who fled, 32-year-old Wyatt George, caused the accident.

Witnesses told police George approached the intersection driving at a high rate of speed traveling north on Highway 142 in the right turn lane when his vehicle suddenly veered back into the travel lanes, striking the other vehicles. The other four vehicles were stopped with traffic at the intersection.

According to the report, George exited his vehicle and ran away from the scene on foot.  He was found nearby and detained. Officers reportedly determined that he was under the influence and possibly momentarily passed out before hitting the other cars.

After being advised of his Miranda Warnings, George reportedly told police he had been drinking alcohol before the accident.

According to the report, he refused to perform any field sobriety tests, but told officers he was freely admitting that he was under the influence of alcohol.

Officers also observed a firearm, a Hi Point .40 cal. carbine, in plain view in George’s vehicle. George reportedly told police he had earlier argued with his girlfriend and took the gun when he left because it belonged to his brother.

Police determined that George was at fault for the accident. A check of his criminal history reportedly showed that he had prior felony convictions. He was arrested and transported to the Newton County Detention Center charged with DUI alcohol less safe, reckless driving, leaving the scene on an accident with injuries, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and suspended license.

According to the report, one victim was flown to Atlanta Medical Center by air ambulance. The others were examined by fire and EMS personnel at the scene.