By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bond temporarily revoked for Newton High robbery suspect
Newton County Judicial Center

COVINGTON, Ga. – Bond was temporarily revoked Tuesday afternoon for one of the teens charged in last year’s armed robbery of a student at Newton High School.

Judge John M. Ott made the ruling during a hearing at the Newton County Judicial Center.

“He’s disobeyed conditions of his bond,” Ott said.

Assistant District Attorney Tabitha Rogers told the court the 16-year-old discussed obtaining a handgun in a social media post. The post was discovered during a review of Instagram messages obtained by the DA’s office as part of its investigation.

In a separate case, another of the teens charged in the robbery had his bond modified after a review of his social media showed that he had tried to contact a co-defendant using the internet. The bond modification forbids the 15-year-old to use any electronic device capable of accessing the internet.

The teens are two of four accused of the armed robbery of a student in a boy’s restroom at the school May 5, 2017. They were granted bond and allowed use of computers for school work only, monitored by their parents, as a condition.

Rogers told The Covington News in an email the 16-year-old’s bond is revoked until an April 17 hearing on the issues raised Tuesday.

He and his co-defendants face multiple charges including armed robbery, aggravated assault, carrying a weapon within certain school areas, violation of street gang terrorism and prevention act and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

Newton County jury finds Covington man guilty of felony murder
Shane Robinson
Shane Robinson - photo by Courtesy of the Newton County Sheriff's Office

NEWTON COUNTY – On Monday afternoon, 30-year-old Shane Alexander Robinson of Covington was found guilty of killing Charles Edward Stanley III over three years ago.

The Newton County District Attorney’s Office released that a jury deemed that Robinson was guilty on three charges: Felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

On March 5, 2022, sometime between 11 p.m. and midnight, Robinson shot an AR-style firearm at a vehicle that Stanley was driving along Harvey Wood Drive. According to the District Attorney’s release, Robinson fired the weapon 13 times into the vehicle, killing Stanley.

According to a previous report by The Covington News, an arrest warrant stated that Robinson “grabbed his AR-15 (rifle) and drove” from his home to Harvey Wood Drive to “scare” Stanley.

“When Charles was backing up, Shane admitted to firing several rounds at the vehicle,” the 2022 warrant stated. “Furthermore, Shane also initially stated that he fired rounds at the vehicle as it was driving away.”

Robinson initially faced charges of murder, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, unauthorized discharge of firearms within 50 yards of the public highway, and reckless conduct. It is not clear if some of these charges were dismissed.

Sentencing is set for a later date, which has not been announced. A co-defendant’s case is still pending.