By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Delay doesnt stop Alcovy
Placeholder Image

Lightning didn't stop Morgan Edelman, Sage Fuller and the Alcovy soccer team Friday night as it routed Newton 6-1.

The Lady Tigers, who tied Newton 2-2 on Feb. 28, took a 2-1 lead - scoring all three goals - before weather interrupted.

On Alcovy's first goal, Edelman got the ball behind the defense, dribbling through the box to out-maneuver the Newton keeper for the score.

Sage Fuller had the first of her three goals on a thru-ball where she got behind the defense and put a shot into the corner.

Alcovy (8-3-1, 4-2 Region 3A-AAAA) added an own goal in the first half for Newton's only points of the match.
About 9 minutes before halftime, lightning delayed the game for almost an hour.

After the break the results were much of the same with Alcovy dominating.

Fuller added two more goals in the second half, both coming on crosses. For the first the sophomore utilized her speed to collect a long cross behind the defense.

"It really helps us because she can get in space and she can really get on it," said Alcovy coach Phillip Davidson of Fuller's speed. "If she can get in front of the net she's got a good shot."

Elizabeth Smith scored the next two goals to seal
Alcovy's fourth straight win and sixth out of its last seven.

The two cross-town rivals played to a draw in their last meeting, but Davidson said the difference Friday was Edelman.

"She just really took control," Davidson said. "She's one of the captains and she really had a great game."

The junior controlled the middle of the field, directing solid passes and maintaining pace.

"She got the ball up field and gave us a whole lot more scoring opportunities," Davidson said.

Alcovy has one more match, April 10 at Spalding, before entering the region tournament.

The third-seeded Lady Tigers will play at second-seeded McIntosh in a date yet to be determined.

While Newton and Alcovy girls' teams played the entirety of their match, the boys were unable to.

The second game of Friday's double header was canceled due to the weather during the first half.