By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Weather not a factor for Heritage
Placeholder Image

With the weather in the high 20s, Evans Stadium hosted Heritage and Eastside soccer teams on a cold and windy night.

The boys started the evening off with a 5:30 p.m. start. Heritage controlled the time of possession throughout the game, but especially in the first half. The Patriots didn't give up a shot on goal until after the break.

The Eagles struggled just to get past midfield early in the game, which played a factor in Heritage getting two corners in the first 10 minutes of the game. Still, Eastside played great defense, especially inside the box as they didn't give up a goal until a volley from Adam North in the 25th minute despite multiple shots for Heritage.

The Patriots went into halftime up 1-0. A different Eastside came out in the second half, as the Eagles used their defense to get into scoring position more than once. Tyreke Francis was alone on a breakaway in the 44th minute but just missed a shot wide right. The Patriots would score just four minutes later on a strike from Austin McMillian after a foul on Eastside set up a free kick for Heritage.

Francis would get two more opportunities to score in the second half, with a cross to Devin Herring but the pass had a little too much speed on it and Heritage recovered. In the 69th minute, Francis missed wide left on a shot that was makeable but wasn't easy.

Heritage had its share of missed opportunities but none were bigger than the missed penalty that rose high over the post. Heritage went on to win 2-0.

The Lady Patriots didn't have as slow a start on offense as their male counterparts. Heritage came flying out of the gate and set the tone early.

The Lady Patriots scored three goals in the first three minutes of the contest, starting it off was senior co-captain Haley Elliott followed by juniors Sara Boggus and Jessica Walker.

Eastside looked heavily affected by the cold weather and just couldn't gather any momentum.

As the half came to a close, Heritage initiated its final strikes as they scored three goals in one minute with the first half nearing its end. Junior Faith Shelton started it off with the first goal at the 2:51 mark (her second of the night) near the end of the half. Just 15 seconds later, Caroline Dipzinski scored and 31 seconds after that Boggus scored her second goal.

The Lady Patriots went into halftime with an 8-0 lead. The second half saw many of Heritage's reserves play and they coasted to an 8-0 victory, playing just 20 minutes in the second half.