By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Report on Turner Field fatal fall reveals more details
Placeholder Image

More details were revealed in the report of the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office, which ruled the death of a Conyers man who fell to his death at Turner Field as a suicide.

Ronald Homer, Jr., 30, fell 85-feet into the players' parking lot just after the rain-delayed Aug. 12 game against the Phillies started at 9 p.m. He was transported to Atlanta Medical where died.

According to the Medical Examiner's report, a witness saw Homer climb over the railing and then hop or jump into the parking lot five stories down.

"In order to classify the manner of death as a suicide, there needs to be an indication that the person acted deliberately to harm him/herself. It does not require depression, although suicide is often seen in depressed individuals," wrote the examiner. "In this case, the decent was witnessed by a credible, objective witness to climb over a railing, one leg at a time, and then to jump down toward the ground."

She later wrote, "The point of departure from the railing was clearly visible from the vantage point of a witness, who watched from the row of vendor carts on the concourse, as the decendent walked along onto the landing by the freight elevator, reappeared at the railing, climbed over with one leg and then the other, holding the railing with one hand, and then hopped down."

The area where Homer fell was well lit and the ground was reportedly visible as well.

The report concluded it was unlikely the 6-foot 6-inch Homer toppled over the 3-foot 6-inch railing. His center of gravity, which is midway or about 3-feet-3 inches, would have had to be higher than the railing, according to the examiner.

Homer's blood alcohol level was found to be about twice the legal limit. The alcohol would have played a factor in removing inhibitions but the report concluded it would not have made him intoxicated enough to topple over the rail. "If he had been intoxicated enough to fall over the railing, he would not have had the decision-making capacity to perform a maneuver similar to a diving tuck to prevent landing on his head. Alcohol intoxication would not make him jump deliberately, unless he already considered doing so, as it tends to remove inhibitions."

Homer was reportedly aware of the 2008 death of a fan who fell at Turner Field and had talked about the incident with a friend.

Homer was a 2001 graduate of Rockdale County High School where he had been the captain of the basketball team, said his uncle. Ron was a sports fanatic, following everything from baseball to NASCAR and mixed martial arts. He receivied an academic scholarship to study sports medicine at Emory University's Oxford College.

In recent years, after a brief marriage and divorce, he was living at home with his parents and working for various landscaping jobs and companies.

Ron Homer was reportedly the second spectator to die from falling off upper levels in the last five years at Turner Field. In 2008, a 25-year-old Cumming man fell 150 feet onto the field and died during a Braves-Mets game.

"There's no excuse," said Homer's uncle Robert Homer in a previous interview about the facilities at Turner Field. "There's got to be something to protect the patrons... I'm not going to let this one be swept under the rug."

Last year, at the Georgia Dome, a 25-year-old Tennessee man died after falling off the railing during a Tennessee-North Carolina football game.