By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
News You Can Use: School registration
Placeholder Image

Summer vacation is winding down to a close for Rockdale County Public School students and school will be back in session at each campus on Thursday, July 29. Here are a few reminders to make the first day of school a success.

For Everyone

Open House – Rockdale County Elementary schools will host two Open House times on Monday, July 26. Parents are encouraged to visit their child’s school during one of these times: 7:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. or 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.

Middle and high schools will host two Open House times on Tuesday, July 27. Parents may choose to visit at either: 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. or 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.

Immunizations – Records need to be kept up to date. In addition to area pediatricians, parents may consider contacting Rockdale County Health Department, located at 985 Taylor Street, (770) 278-7340. Hours of operation: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Tuesday, Thursday 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.

For more information, parents are encouraged to visit or their school’s website.

For Students Returning

Contact Information Whenever student emergency contacts or phone numbers change, parents need to update information. Forms are provided at each school’s Open House.

Summer Reading Middle and High School students were expected to complete reading assignments over the summer. Students will be assessed during the first few weeks of school.

For Students New to

Rockdale County

(As well as those

transferring within the county)

Registration – In anticipation of the large numbers of students who will be registering or transferring, the Student Registration Office on West Avenue will be temporarily moved to 1400 Parker Road beginning July 22 where parents may complete all of the required forms, provide documentation and submit verification of their address.

April Fallon, director of community and student support for Rockdale County Public Schools, emphasized, "We try to do the best that we can. Please register as soon as possible. Make sure that you bring all of the necessary forms."

Last year, even with additional staff pulled from area schools, there were long lines and some parents waited over an hour. Even more frustrating, some students could not be registered because of incomplete or incorrect information.

"The biggest misconceptions involve proof of residency and records from out of state," said Fallon. Cable and phone bills are not accepted as proof of residency. In addition, many middle and high school students who are moving in from another state are surprised to learn that Georgia requires a discipline record. This problem is further complicated for some of the students who are moving from northern states. If their school system doesn’t open until later, they may not be able to enroll.

The information below is posted on under Student Registration. Information may also be obtained through the registration center’s helpline recording: (770) 761-1457.

What Student Registration staff MUST have to register your child:

1. Certified Birth Certificate showing the registering parent(s) name(s)

2. Social Security Card

3. Form 3231 Certificate of Immunization Georgia Dept. of Human Resources (go to and click on "Link to Child and Adolescent Immunization Schedule" for the full CDC Immunization Schedule)

4. Form 3300 Certificate of Ear, Eye, and Dental Examination

5. Current proof of residency, which can include:

Signed lease agreement with current gas, electricity, or water bill OR

Signed lease agreement with automobile registration OR

Property tax receipt with current gas, electricity, or water bill OR

Property tax receipt with automobile registration

Statement of Legal Residence Form {Affidavit} (copies available at Central Registration Office)

6. Photo ID for parent

7. Court-ordered proof of custody/guardianship if you are not the birth parent. If you need further information about obtaining legal guardianship, please contact the Rockdale County Probate Court at (770) 278-7700.

8. If entering from another school district, a copy of your child’s academic transcript and discipline record (grades 7-12) or a statement from the previous school indicating that a disciplinary order was not imposed. We will also need a copy of the withdrawal form. You can find this rule statute in O.C.G.A. 20-2-670.

Additional information:

If your child has a disability which requires special education, please bring a copy of your child’s IEP.

If you are coming to Rockdale from another school system, please bring a copy of your child's records from the previous school. This would include a copy of the report card (Kindergarten – 8th grade) or transcript (9th – 12th grades).

If you are transferring from within the county, please bring a copy of the withdrawal form.

Registering your

child for kindergarten

To be eligible for Kindergarten, a child must be five years of age on or before Sept. 1. For children who will be entering Rockdale County Public Schools for the first time in the fall of the school year as a first grader, the child must be six years of age on or before Sept. 1 OR have completed a state approved kindergarten program.

Change of address

during the school year

All student address changes within Rockdale County Public Schools must be validated at Student Registration. Please bring proof of your new residence to the Student Registration office.