By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hair weave shooter found guilty of murder, sentenced to life
James Wansley Edwards sentenced to life plus 15 years for death of Jennifer Menzies
James Wansley Edwards

CONYERS - One suspect involved in the infamous hair weave case has been convicted of felony murder.

In addition to being found guilty for murder, James Wansley Edwards, 22, was also convicted of criminal attempt to commit armed robbery, two counts of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during commission of a crime. The jury deliberated about two and half hours before returning the guilty verdict Friday, Aug. 21.

Rockdale County Superior Court Judge Robert Mumford sentenced Edwards to life plus 15 years in prison.

Edwards' trial began Monday with jury selection. The trial featured about 25 to 30 witnesses and experts testifying and closed Thursday afternoon. The lead prosecutor was Rockdale County District Attorney Richard Read. Edwards was represented by attorney Clifford Kurlander.

On December 11, 2013, Christina Menzies, then 19, of Covington had arranged to meet with a group at the Fountain Crest subdivision to buy hair weaves. Victims told deputies that a group of people came out the bushes and pointed a handgun at them. The two groups exchanged gunfire. Christina's sister, Jennifer Menzies, 21, of Conyers, was shot and pronounced dead at the hospital.

Edwards was arrested on December 13, 2013. Christina, Brandon Lamothe and Jaquan House were also arrested.

Christina was charged with making false statements and being a party to armed robbery. House, then 20, of Conyers, was charged with armed robbery. Lamothe, then 20, of Conyers was charged with being party to armed robbery and three counts of probation violation felony.

Christina and Lamothe are scheduled to be tried in October.

Prior to the 2013 incident, Edwards had been one of the main suspects investigated in the November 2010 shooting that killed Rockdale County High School student Dequavious Mapp and injured two other teens.

Edwards, 17 at the time, was released due to lack of evidence from lack of witnesses willing to testify, although the party had up to 300 people attending.