By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Family saved by smoke detectors
Placeholder Image

A Rockdale family was left homeless but alive after a blaze set off fire alarms that woke them up in time to evacuate the burning home.

Rockdale County Fire-Rescue (RCFR) is highlighting a recent example of a family saved by a working smoke detector and encourages all residents to make sure to check their detector.

In the early morning hours of March 13, RCFR responded to a call about a duplex fire.

When firefighters arrived, units found smoke coming from the eaves of the roof. Fire personnel immediately searched the home for victims and extinguished the fire.

The home sustained fire and smoke damage throughout, which displaced the residents.

When fire personnel spoke with one of the residents, she stated that a smoke alarm awoke her warning her of the fire. She then alerted her child and they had enough time to evacuate the home.

"This story could have had a tragic ending, but because a smoke alarm was installed and in proper working condition, lives were saved," said Rockdale Fire Chief Dan Morgan.

Smoke alarms are the first line of defense from fire, according to RCFR.

RCFR encourages every County resident and business to install and maintain smoke alarms. The alarms should be tested monthly with any dead batteries immediately replaced. If the alarm is older than 10 years, it should be replaced.

For questions or more information, please call RCFR at 770-278-8401.