The Wal Mart in Conyers was evacuated after receiving a bomb threat on Monday evening, which turned out to be false.
Conyers police received a call around 5 p.m. that a bomb threat had been received by a Wal Mart employee.
"Management had already made the decision to temporarily close the store and evacuate the building, which was in progress when our police officers arrived on location," said CPD Maj. Scott Freeman in an email.
"Along with the staff of Wal-Mart, our officers conducted several searches but did not locate anything that appeared suspicious," he said. The store was reopened around 6:20 p.m.
A person who had been inside the building at the time said despite efforts to keep the evacuation quiet, customers began rushing towards the doors.
An ambulance responded to the scene to treat a person complaining of a possible broken arm from falling during the evacuation, according to National EMS CEO Benny Atkins. The person was taken to Rockdale Medical Center for treatment.
No outside agencies were called because no suspicious package was located, according to bomb threat protocol, said Freeman. The case is still under investigation, but CPD detectives are looking into ways of tracking the call that came in.
"We treat all cases such as this very seriously and we respond accordingly," he said.
No bomb threats against the Wal Mart have been reported within the last two years.
Anyone with information or leads in the case is asked to call CPD Sgt. Chris Moon with the Major Felony Unit at 770-929-4206. Anonymous tips may be left at 770-483-TIPS.