By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Elderly man saved by smoke detector

An elderly resident was alerted to a possible fire by a smoke detector recently installed by the Rockdale firefighters.

The Rockdale County Fire and Rescue division was dispatched Thursday to Granade Road for a possible structure fire.  

On arrival, fire crews found the house to be filled with smoke due to food that began to burn, after being left unattended on the stove. The resident, an elderly gentleman that relies on a walker for assistance, told firefighters the smoke alarm is what alerted him.  

A week before this incident, the resident requested firefighters come check his smoke alarms. Firefighters found two smoke alarms that were not working and installed two new smoke alarms that gave the house adequate coverage.

Free smoke alarms and batteries are avaialble through the RCFR. Firefighters will provide assistance to check and install smoke alarms upon request. For questions or help with smoke alarms, contact Rockdale County Fire-Rescue at 770-278-8401.