By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Daycare shooter found mentally competent
Trial to start May 14
Terrence Roberson

The trial of a man accused of shooting his estranged wife and step-daughter last September will begin May 14 in Rockdale County after the man was found mentally competent to stand trial.

Terrence Sherod Roberson, 36, is charged with the September 20 attack on Kimaya Motley Roberson, 38, a CJ Hicks Elementary teacher, and her 10-year-old daughter Corrine Williams, who attended Lorraine Elementary. He is facing two charges of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated assault and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. Both victims survived despite being shot in the head.

District Attorney Richard Read, the lead prosecutor in case, said psychological tests performed by the state have declared Roberson competent to stand trial.

Last week Superior Court Judge Sidney Nation denied a request by Assistant Public Defender Owen Humphries, for a one-time continuance in order for the defendant to have a physical exam completed prior to his trial. According to Humphries, Roberson has been ill for over 10 years.

"He was diagnosed with an ailment," Humphries explained. "He wanted to be examined by a doctor of his choosing to see what the status of the ailment was, and what, if any part it may have played in the incident." Humphries citied privacy issues when declining to identify the ailment.

Judge Nation denied the request and stated that Roberson has had over seven months to have tests completed. 

According to law enforcement reports, the incident occurred around 6:30 a.m. Sept. 20 when Kimaya Roberson was dropping her daughter off at Little Mountain Christian Academy on GA 155 near the Henry County line. Terrence Roberson allegedly shot Kimaya Roberson in the head and neck and Corrine Williams was shot in the head. Terrence Roberson surrendered to the Newton County Sheriff's office approximately three hours later. The couple had been estranged for about a year and Kimaya Roberson had recently filed for divorce.