IN BRIEF: A brush fire caused the evacuation of horses in the area of Gees Mill and Sigman Road on Friday.
After the fire was reported at approximately 2:30 p.m., six to eight acres were burned, and no homes or residents were evacuated. According to the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office, no injuries have been reported, and there was no structural damage.
The cause of the fire is believed to be a spark from a power surge.
Rockdale County Fire and Rescue, along with units from Newton and Walton counties assisted in helping extinguish the fire, which was 100 percent contained by 5:30 p.m.
The RCFD had six units and over 30 personnel on the scene. A total of 10 units responded to the incident.
The RCSD advise drivers to avoid the Gees Mill and Sigman roads and Centennial Olympic Parkway due to road closures and detours.