The Aubrae Gunderson Memorial Scholarship Fund awarded its annual scholarship to two students this year.
This year’s deserving recipients are:
Heritage High School - Callie Alford
• Attending Georgia State on a softball scholarship
• Played softball and tennis all 4 years; 2010 HHS Athlete of the Year
• Volunteers as the official mascot for the Miracle League
• GPA of 4.17, Superintendent's All Honors Award, Georgia Merit Scholar, Wofford Scholar, Presbyterian College Academic Award
Rockdale High School - Jennie Roberts
• Attending Georgia Southern
• Played softball and lacrosse all 4 years
• Volunteers with teaching at Conyers Church of God, Special Olympics at RCHS and will be part of a mission trip to Honduras this summer
• GPA of 3.4
Student athletes must be nominated by a coach or band director based on subjective leadership and team qualities, letter in 2 Varsity sports or 1 sport and marching band, and maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. These were the standards of the fund’s namesake; Aubrae Gunderson. She was a student at Heritage High School who was struck by a car September 26, 2005 while training with the Heritage Cross Country Team.
The scholarships have been offered every year since 2006 to Heritage High School students. Due to community support and the fund’s success, the field was expanded to include student athletes from Rockdale and Salem High Schools in 2010.
For more information about the fundraising memorial race, or how to donate, go to aubraegunderson.com or contact Dan Gunderson at 770-853-7533. The Aubrae Gunderson Financial Assistance Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to assist student athletes continue a standard established by the spirit of Aubrae.