By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Apartment fire damages two units Sunday afternoon
Placeholder Image

A small apartment fire broke out Sunday afternoon off Sigman Road, leaving two units with damage and a house cat dead.

Rockdale County firefighters were called around 12:30 p.m. to 1150 Sigman Road at the Bridlewoods Apartment, according to Mike Conner, RCFD Chief of Training.

When they arrived, smoke was coming from the top unit. All eight units were evacuated and the fire was quickly put out. The were reportedly no injuries among residents or firefighters. The apartment undernieth the one with the fire received minor water damage as well.

The fire reportedly started in a spare bedroom from a shorted out electrical socket, according to Fire Prevention Officer Lance Malcolm. Damage was limited to the room but the apartment reportedly had smoke damage throughout. A cat living in the apartment died from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours.

Apartment complex managers were working on finding spare units to house the residents of the two damaged apartments.