Mr. Johnny Williams died Oct. 27. The son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Henry (Emma Cole) Williams, he was born in 1919 in Newton County, the youngest of three children. His brother Hurlon Williams preceded him in death. Mr. Williams joined Macedonia Baptist Church at an early age. He was raised and educated in Newton County. Mr. Williams enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and later in the U.S. Army, serving for five years. After receiving an honorable discharge, he returned to Covington and received mechanical and technical training at Atlanta Area Tech. He became a skilled automobile mechanic. For many years, Mr. Williams was a volunteer transportation driver for the Newton County Family and Children Services. He retired from Standridge Color Corporation in Social Circle. He married Mamie Lois Williams (now deceased) in 1945, and they had nine children. His infant son Thomas preceded him in death. In 1981 he married Evangelist Lenora Nolley Williams. Mr. Williams was an intelligent person who spoke several languages. He was considered a master of the Bible and could interpret Hebrew and Greek. He enjoyed sharing his vast knowledge of the Bible with others. As a result, he started a tract ministry, developing and producing biblical tracts he would distribute. Mr. Williams had ah humble, gentle spirit which was combined with a wonderful sense of humor. He was truly an inspiration and joy to those whose lives he touched.
Surviving are wife of 28 years Evangelist Lenora Williams; children Jimmy (Shirley) Williams, Judy Thomas, Juanita Williams, Betty Parrish, Bernice Williams (Trey) Canty, Richard Williams, Johnny Williams III, Tinsley Williams, 19 grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren; sister Mrs. Burda Lee Marks; brother-in-law Leon Jackson Nolley; sisters-in-law Myrtis N. Smith, Bernice N. Thomas; a host of nieces, nephews, other loving relatives and dear friends.
Funeral services were held Nov. 1 at Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church with the Rev. Cecil Rozier officiating. Interment followed in Sims Chapel Baptist Church Cemetery.