The Rockdale-Newton League of Women Voters will host a redistricting forum at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Rockdale Career Academy, 1064 Culpepper Drive S.W. in Conyers.
The forum participants will look ahead at how federal and state political representation may change for Rockdale and Newton counties. The group will also discuss transparency, non-partisanship in drawing lines, citizen involvement and gerrymandering.
Forum participants will include:
- William Perry, director of Common Cause of Georgia
- Nancy Adudu, senior staff counsel for ACLU
- Tracey-Ann Nelson, executive director of League of Women Voters of Georgia
- State Sen. Robert Brown (D-Macon), from District 26, member of reapportionment and redistricting committee
- State Sen. Ronald Ramsey (D-Decatur) District 43
- State Rep. Pamela Stephenson (D-Decatur) District 92
- State Rep. Dar'shun Kendrick (D-Lithonia) District 94
The Newton County Board of Commissioners will not hold its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday.
The chairman and commissioners will be out of town this weekend for the Association County Commissioners of Georgia annual conference in Savannah. They will return Tuesday, but County Clerk Jackie Smith said there was no business scheduled for the agenda so the meeting was canceled.
The board will have a work session at 6 p.m., Thursday at the Historic Courthouse to discuss a zoning ordinance, development regulations and miscellaneous ordinances.
The Covington City Council will hold its regularly scheduled meeting at 6:30 p.m., Monday at City Hall, 2194 Emory St. All meetings are preceded by a work session at 5:30 p.m.