By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Rain, then cooler in Newton
Placeholder Image

A bit of respite from the heat is on the way.

The National Weather Service forecasters say the high temperature in Newton County will dip into the mid 80s on Friday and Saturday.

There's a 50 percent chance of rain today and a 60 percent chance or rain for Friday. The rain odds decline to 40 percent for Saturday and to 30 percent on Sunday. The high for Saturday should be 89 and the high for Sunday should be 91.

Recent rains have greened up lawns, but Newton County's rain deficit for the year is about 6.6 inches. In an average year, the area would have received 28.8 inches of rain since the first of the year, but reports Newton County has received 22.28 inches of precipitation. Since July 1, 2.63 of rainfall was reported at the FFA-FCCLA station in south Newton County. That's about 1 inch above average for the first two weeks of the month.