Construction work continues on I-20 eastbound in Rockdale and westbound in Newton County this weekend, along with other projects on I-285 and elsewhere.
This weekend's schedule for I-20 is:
• On eastside I-20 in Rockdale County, two eastbound lanes in the vicinity of Salem Road and the eastbound exit and entrance ramps at Salem will be similarly closed from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday, for resurfacing; and
• In Newton County, the westbound I-20 ramps at U.S. Highway 278 also will be closed throughout the weekend for bridge work.
• Downtown, bridge joint and header replacement will require two westbound I-20 lanes be closed at the Lawton Street, Langhorn Street and Hamilton E. Holmes Drive overpasses continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday;
Planned I-285 work is as follows:
• Continuous 9 p.m., Friday, to 5 a.m., Monday, closure of two I-285 Outer Loop lanes between South Cobb Parkway and Bolton Road, for concrete slab repair and replacement;
• Sign structure work will require an Inner Loop I-285 double lane closure between Georgia 400 and Ashford Dunwoody Road and an Outer Loop single lane closure between Peachtree Dunwoody Road and Georgia 400 from 9 p.m., Friday, until 7 a.m., Saturday; and
• As part of the rehabilitation of the southside interchange of I-285 and Interstate 85, two Outer Loop lanes in the area near Washington Road will be closed continuously from 9 p.m., Friday, until 5 a.m., Monday.
This weekend's other scheduled work - weather permitting - includes:
• Work on the Northwest Corridor (NWC) Express Lanes project this weekend will be limited to the closure of a single lane of the Interstate 75 southbound exit ramp to I-285 westbound from 9 p.m., Saturday, until 7 a.m., Sunday, although the ramp will remain open during this time.
• On Georgia (State Route) 400, one northbound lane in the vicinity of the former Toll Plaza will be closed from 7 a.m., to 7 p.m., Saturday and Sunday.
Georgia DOT advises those traveling in the Metro area this weekend, especially on I-20 and I-285, to call 511 or consult 511ga.org before departing to learn current work status and traffic conditions.
Other Georgia DOT work and routine maintenance will necessitate various lane closures this weekend (as detailed in the attached spreadsheets); the Department also cautions that incident and emergency repair related closures may be necessary on any route at any time. As previously noted, all work is contingent upon favorable weather.
The Department encourages motorists always to drive cautiously, courteously, undistracted and unimpaired.