By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Elementary aged kid starts fire
Placeholder Image

A home on Collins Street was a total loss after the family's 6-year-old accidentally set the Christmas tree on fire Sunday.

Assistant Fire Marshal, Capt. Tony Smith said the call came in around 10 a.m. and firefighters spent several hours at the home, leaving at 3 p.m.

Although there were no injuries, the home was a total loss. The 6-year-old boy had reportedly been playing with a lighter when he lit the Christmas tree on fire. He is being referred to the city's fire safety educator.

There was also a fire Wednesday night in the mechanical room of Pactiv, which shut the business down for around three hours. There were no injuries and the fire was contained to the piece of equipment and some piping.

The sprinkler system activated and contained the fire, according to Smith.