COVINGTON Ga. - The Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) is hosting a Detour Open House Tuesday, April 11 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Oak Hill Elementary School on its proposed plans replacing the South River Bridge on State Route (SR) 81.
This project would replace the South River Bridge with a structure that includes two, 12-foot lanes and 8-foot wide shoulders in accordance with current standard design requirements. The existing bridge was built in 1948 and investigations have identified deficiencies that make it a prime candidate for replacement.
SR 81 will be closed where it crosses the South River at the Henry/Newton County line for approximately 24 months with an off-site detour.
The Open House offers the public an opportunity to view project displays, ask questions and comment. It will be informal with no presentation. Oak Hill is located at 6243 Hwy 212 in Covington.
You can also provide your comments by Tuesday, April 25, 2017 using any of the following methods:
- Online at www.dot.ga.gov/PS/Public/PublicOutreach.
1. From the menu, select the county in which the proposed project is located and click Go;
2. Then select 0013363 Bridge replacement on SR 81 ;
3. Lastly, click Comment and follow the instructions to leave your comments.
- Mail in your comment card to Mr. Eric Duff, Georgia Department of Transportation, 600 West Peachtree Street NW, 16th Floor, Atlanta, Georgia 30308.
The project displays and plans will be available for review for 10 days after this open house at the website noted above. Hardcopies will also be available at the Georgia DOT District 2 Area 5 office located at 1570 Bethany Road, Madison.