By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
15-year-old charged after making threats to 'shoot up' school Monday
Eastside High School

COVINGTON, Ga. – A 15-year-old student was charged last week after reportedly making threats to “shoot up” Eastside High School Monday.

According to a Newton County Sheriff’s Office incident report, School Resource Officer Jeremy Vieira was notified Feb. 1 by Principal Jeff Cher about a female student making verbal threats toward the school during the school day. The statements were heard by other students who informed their parents who in turn notified school administrators at Eastside.

According to the report, the student said she did make the statements but said it was a joke among friends.

NCSO spokesperson Sgt. Cortney Morrison told The Covington News the student made verbal threats to “shoot up the school on Monday (Feb. 5)." She said the threat was overheard by multiple students and caused them fear.

“Immediate and appropriate action by the school administrators and SROs resulted in this female being charged with terroristic threats and disciplined by school admin," Morrison said. "We as a community and sheriff's office cannot and will not tolerate threats made towards an educational institution regarding the safety and security of our schools and children. Each and every threat will be reported to law enforcement and will be criminally charged accordingly.”

Newton County Schools spokesperson Sherri Davis said, “Eastside High School administrators were notified of comments made by a student that were a cause of concern on Thursday, Feb. 1. The school administrators notified law enforcement and also conducted an investigation into the matter. Although it was determined there was no threat to school safety, Principal Jeff Cher still notified parents of the situation via a school messenger call that evening. In addition to possible legal charges, the student is also being disciplined for violating the student code of conduct.”

Newton County jury finds Covington man guilty of felony murder
Shane Robinson
Shane Robinson - photo by Courtesy of the Newton County Sheriff's Office

NEWTON COUNTY – On Monday afternoon, 30-year-old Shane Alexander Robinson of Covington was found guilty of killing Charles Edward Stanley III over three years ago.

The Newton County District Attorney’s Office released that a jury deemed that Robinson was guilty on three charges: Felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

On March 5, 2022, sometime between 11 p.m. and midnight, Robinson shot an AR-style firearm at a vehicle that Stanley was driving along Harvey Wood Drive. According to the District Attorney’s release, Robinson fired the weapon 13 times into the vehicle, killing Stanley.

According to a previous report by The Covington News, an arrest warrant stated that Robinson “grabbed his AR-15 (rifle) and drove” from his home to Harvey Wood Drive to “scare” Stanley.

“When Charles was backing up, Shane admitted to firing several rounds at the vehicle,” the 2022 warrant stated. “Furthermore, Shane also initially stated that he fired rounds at the vehicle as it was driving away.”

Robinson initially faced charges of murder, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, unauthorized discharge of firearms within 50 yards of the public highway, and reckless conduct. It is not clear if some of these charges were dismissed.

Sentencing is set for a later date, which has not been announced. A co-defendant’s case is still pending.