By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Clothes dryer starts fire
Stowe Road Fire
Multiple agencies responded to a fire overnight at a home on Stowe Road, Covington, Ga., on Monday, Nov. 18, 2019.

COVINGTON, Ga. — Multiple agencies responded to a house fire overnight in Newton County.

It happened at 50 Stowe Road in far northern Newton County.

The fire was thought to have begun in a clothes dryer and spread through the home. The house sustained heavy damage to its interior.

Walton County Fire Rescue and the Social Circle Fire Department were dispatched when the 911 call came in, and Newton County also responded. Once firefighters arrived at the scene, it was determined the house was just inside Newton County and the Newton County Fire Department assumed control.

The Newton and Walton departments have a written aid agreement for properties close to the county line. Both departments are dispatched on fire calls to properties close to the county line.