Adopt-A-Mile is a litter control program sponsored by Keep Covington/Newton Beautiful to attract public involvement in picking up litter along Georgia streets and roads.
Litter along Georgia roads has reached an epidemic stage. Keeping our roadways clear of litter has proven to be a very time consuming and extremely expensive operation for our community and state.
This program is gaining attention statewide, as it is becoming a major part of our Keep Georgia Clean and Beautiful volunteer network. Adopt-A-Mile is also an integral part of KCNB’s own anti-littering campaign, "Litter: It Costs You."
Who can adopt?
Any civic-minded organization, such as Garden Clubs, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Church Groups, Junior or Senior High School Student Councils, FFA/FHA, Rotary Clubs, etc. can adopt a stretch of road (one mile minimum) leading into their community.
What are the responsibilities of an adopting organization?
Through such adoption, an organization would have responsibility of controlling the litter problem within that section of Mile. In addition, the organization will
• Develop a functional plan that will influence and encourage the public to improve the appearance of their adopted Mile;
• Plan for a general cleanup four times a year;
• Assist KCNB in securing media coverage for the program; and
• Coordinate with KCNB’s staff to carry out the plan.
What are KCNB’s responsibilities?
• Coordinate the erection of a mile sign indicating the section of mile under adoption and the organization responsible;
• Furnish supplies necessary to aid with general cleanups;
• Coordinate media coverage to inform the public of the program; and
• Provide assistance.
What are safety precautions for volunteers?
All organizations will conduct safety meetings with KCNB to discuss the dangers of working along the side of the roadway. KCNB will provide safety vests to all volunteers and will post traffic control signs during cleanups.
What are the benefits of Adopt-a-Mile?
• Group Recognition
• A clean and beautiful community
How does an organization adopt?
Any interested group should make a commitment to clean the area it chooses at least four times a year, fill out this paperwork, and return it to KCNB at the address below:
1124 Clark St.
Covington, GA 30014
Phone: (770) 784-2015