By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Infant death suspect found dead
Placeholder Image

A woman suspected in connection with the death of a 7-week-old infant in Hall County was found dead Thursday in a Newton County home.

 Sue Ann Neidig, 33, had spent the previous night at the home of longtime family friends, described as "surrogate grandparents," when they discovered her body around 2 p.m., said Newton County Sheriff's Office Lt. Bill Watterson.

 There were no signs of foul play, said Watterson, and authorities are awaiting toxicology test and autopsy results to determine the cause of death.

 Hall County Sheriff's Office investigators had not publicly named her as a suspect at the time of her death but were preparing to seek a warrant against her for the death of Chance Anthony Chapman, a 7-week-old baby who died of brain trauma, according to HCSO Maj. Jeff Strickland.

On Sunday, the baby was dropped off at his maternal grandfather's house while his mother was at work.

"It's our understanding that was the first time the grandfather had babysat for the child," Strickland said.

Neidig, who was the grandfather's girlfriend, and two other children - the baby's sibling and Neidig's child - were also in the house at the time, but she did have an occasion to be alone with the baby, said Strickland.

Shortly before noon, the infant became unresponsive and Neidig called 911.

First responders tried to resuscitate Chapman on the scene and rushed him to the Northeast Georgia Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Investigators met Thursday morning with the DeKalb County Medical Examiner's office, which preformed the autopsy, and learned the child died of trauma to the brain.

Hall County investigators had interviewed Neidig earlier and tried to make contact Tuesday and Wednesday but were unable to locate her.

Neidig's child was removed from custody after the incident by the Department of Family and Children's Services and placed with relatives, according to Strickland.

"At this point in the investigation, she was the only suspect in this case," Strickland said, but added that the investigation continues.