By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Eastside's Anglin battles back from life-threatening injury
Placeholder Image

At age 12, Keaton Anglin suffered an injury so severe that it almost cost him his life, including his burgeoning young baseball career.

But due to a miraculous healing power, it prolonged his life, allowing him to continue playing a sport he so passionately loves.

"It's amazing how God works," Keaton said. "I feel that God healed me because He has a great plan for my life."

For Anglin - a second baseman for the Eastside High baseball team - the progress made since the incident happened has been tremendous.

Five years ago, Keaton and his father, Kenny, were out doing mission work for their church when the accident happened. They were helping build a retaining wall around the sanctuary at Calvary Baptist Church in Covington when it happened.

One of the workers struck the metal rod in an attempt to drive it into the ground to stabilize the wall. Upon doing so, a piece of metal exploded off the rod from the impact, sending it flying through the air, lodging into the neck of young Anglin, who had just taken a break 20 feet away.

The piece of metal pierced his neck, resting next to his collarbone. At first, Keaton thought it was a bee sting. Immediately, he sprinted over to his sister saying he had gotten stung.

But after removing his hand from his neck, his sister noticed a stream of blood pouring from the wound. She quickly stuck her finger in the hole to alleviate the bleeding; however, Keaton passed out while pressure was being applied.

 Soon after the emergency unit arrived, stabilizing the youngster and securing the wound in preparation for the life flight to Eggleston Hospital for treatment.

Once Keaton and his family arrived to the hospital, doctors immediately rushed him to surgery to remove the metal from his neck.

Of course, his parents were horrified - terrified of the uncertainty regarding their son.

"We were devastated," Kenny said. "The doctors couldn't tell us anything."

Even worse, doctors were unsure of how to tell the Anglins that their son's life was on the line. His blood pressure had dropped to 60-over-40, putting him at a high risk.

After the doctors went to work, so did the Anglins, putting their prayers and faith in God. To those unfamiliar, they are a family of devout believers in Christ, and are convinced their faith helped them through a horrid time of vast uncertainty.

As for the operation, it lasted approximately seven hours. When the doctors opened Keaton's neck, they found that the piece of rod had severed the vein going down his right arm.

In fact, it was lodged against the main artery, negating any attempt whatsoever to remove the shard of metal.

Once the doctors finally notified the Anglins, they informed them that Keaton would no longer have the use of his right arm - ever.

One can only imagine the rueful feeling that overcame the Anglins. And the thought of their son no longer being able to play baseball was almost too much.

But even more exorbitant was that Keaton might lose his life. At the time, the doctors didn't know if he would make it. Nevertheless, they gave him their undivided attention, not wanting to interrupt the procedure to speak with his family.

"The doctors apologized for not coming out to talk with us," Kenny said. "They said they were really concerned about saving his life, and didn't want to leave him."

Although Keaton could move his fingers, his arm had no life in it after being released from the hospital.

However, after five months had elapsed, the determined youngster begged his father to let him try to throw a baseball without trouble.

"Of course, I was scared and I told him emphatically no," Kenny said. "I called the doctor and he said he wouldn't be able to throw it, but let him try."

Upon confirmation, Keaton threw for 45 minutes without experiencing any pain, and hasn't stop throwing since, even though the piece of metal is still there to this day.

Amazingly, the doctors could not explain how Keaton was able to throw without any discomfort.

After Keaton attended rehab for a few weeks to stretch his arm, doctors wanted to see if the metal had moved any from the throwing exercises. Soon, doctors released him, and Keaton went on to hone his baseball skills.

Remarkably, he was selected to the Newton County Recreation Commission Little League All-Star team.

And in inspiring fashion, he drove in the game-winning run during the game.

After playing recreation baseball, Keaton made the Eastside club, and continues to excel at second base.

In fact, he won the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year Award as a junior.

For the Anglin family, they are thoroughly convinced that God has a special plan for their son's life, after not only keeping him alive but also healing his arm.

"I've always had faith in God, and what happened made it that much stronger," Keaton said. "I will continue to serve Him. I know that there is much more to life than material things, and I will live my life as a positive example for others."