By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Argument ends in stabbing
Placeholder Image

At least two people were sent to the hospital and three people charged after a couple's argument flared into a stabbing Labor Day weekend, according to a Covington Police Department report.

Police received a call about a fight on West Street and Stone Mountain Street around 10:40 p.m. on Sunday.

When Officer Gene Nuqui arrived, he learned that a female might have been stabbed in the back and taken to the hospital in a private car.

At Newton Medical Center, he found Sabrina Pritchett, 36, being treated for a stab wound in the back. She told the officer, before being taken away for treatment, that her fiancé had stabbed her.

Sgt. Chris Cain responded to a call about the same time regarding a man stabbed near an auto lube business on U.S. Highway 278. He found J.C. Stephenson, Jr., 39, bleeding from the head, with many cuts on his hands, arms and body. Emergency medical personnel took Stephenson to Newton Medical Center for treatment.

At the hospital, Stephenson told officers he and Pritchett had been at a house on Bohannon Street when they got into an argument. He reportedly left, walking down West Street, and Pritchett followed him. He said she went into a house she was familiar with on West Street and came out with a kitchen knife.

Stephenson said he tried to grab the knife when Pritchett reportedly came towards him and cut his hands and body in the process. He was able to break the knife and allegedly stabbed his girlfriend in the back with part of the knife during the struggle.

Pritchett's two sons then allegedly attacked Stephenson, hitting him in the head with a bottle. One of the sons, Jamal Pritchett, 18, reportedly chased Stephenson as he ran towards U.S. Highway 278.

The incident also occurred in front of Stephenson's 19 and 16-year-old daughters and 11-year-old son.

Police found a bloody shirt and the handle of a knife on the ground outside the house where Pritchett had allegedly gone to retrieve the knife.

Stephenson and Jamaal Pritchett were arrested and charged with aggravated assault felony. Stephenson was released on a $5,000 bond Monday. Sabrina Pritchett will be charged with aggravated assault as well once she gets out of the hospital, said CPD spokesperson Det. Daniel Seals.