By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Revolution defeat defending champs
Placeholder Image

With only a few seconds having ticked off the clock, the Southeast Conference leading Georgia Revolution wasted no time in taking it to the returning National Champion Jacksonville United Football Club in a 7-3 victory on Saturday.

Dead even through the first 12 minutes, the Revolution finally struck thanks to Kwadwo Poku, just a few games off the team's first hat trick, to make the score 1-0. Not to be outdone by his teammate Riley Sempter, drove the score up 2-0 in the 15th minute, in favor of the Revolution.

After stellar defensive fronts on both sides of the field, the Revolution's Riley Sempter broke toward the goal, stutter stepped and then drove the ball to the back in the 25th minute making the score 3-0.
Accompanying their showcase of offensive excellence, was a strong defensive effort.

The Revolution's Michael Nwiloh put his defensive prowess to the test as he minimized a possible strike from the United in the 30th minute.

Picking up where his team left off 20 minutes ago, the Revolution's Clarke Bentley continued the offensive onslaught as he drives home a goal just before halftime to put his club up 4-0.

As day became night, the Revolution began the half looking to carry their 4-0 lead through the final 45 minutes. With not even a full minute having ticked off the clock, the Revolution strike yet again thanks to Riley Sempter scoring his third goal of the game making the score 5-0.

Getting as much exercise as the players themselves is the score keeper for tonight's game. Yet again have his services been called upon as the Revolution's Emeka Maduka netted yet another goal for the club, pushing their lead to 6-0.

"We had a good performance against the defending champs," Georgia Revolution coach John Sprague said. "The team had the right attitude and took care of what they needed to take care of as we control our own destiny."

With the Revolution holding tight to a 6-0 lead well into the second half, the United broke through the strong Revolution front to place their first point on the board as they trail 6-1.

As quick as the Untied scored their first goal, they made it to the scoreboard yet again to make the score 6-2.

Not letting off the accelerator, the Revolution scored yet again late in second half increasing their lead to 7-2. And in one fell swoop, the United pushed down the field to score their third team goal of the game just before the game clock stopped.

The Revolution have three more regular season games remaining beginning with Saturday's home matchup against 2010 champs Chattanooga FC.