The teams of American Legion Post 77 are in the thick of the state tournament at Douglasville's Hunter Park, which began Wednesday morning and runs until tomorrow.
Here's a quick recap of what‘s happened so far for Coach Eddie Bagwell's No. 2 seed Conyers team and Coach Jack Murphy's No. 5 seed Rockdale squad, and what's ahead.
- Conyers improved to 3-0 against Alpharetta this season, beating the seventh-seeded 12-5 on Thursday night in the tournament's second round. Bagwell's squad earned a bye in the first round.
- Yesterday, Brandon Thomas knocked in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning in a 6-4 comeback win over third-seeded Canton.
- Chunk Smith has led the way on offense so far, knocking in five RBI.
- Bagwell will throw Kelvan Diaz in today's 4 p.m. game against fourth-seeded Douglasville. The winner clinches a spot in tomorrow's championship game.
- Highly-touted MLB prospect and Heritage standout Tyler Austin, who was supposed to be back from playing in various national and regional showcase games, has yet to appear in a game for Conyers in the tourney.
- Rockdale, which had its eight-game winning streak snapped with a double-header sweep at the hands of Conyers in the final regular season games for both teams on Sunday, dropped into the losers' bracket after losing the tournament opener to Douglasville 5-1. Fifth-seeded Rockdale is 0-3 this season against the host team.
- Murphy's closer Cameron Griffin gave up the deciding homer in the opening loss. The homer, though, came after a three minute break in the action after Griffin, who had already warmed up, was forced to take off tape on his pitching hand that was being used to support a season-long hand injury.
- In their second and third games, Murphy's boys beat 10 seed Albany Post 512 Thursday and top-seeded Albany Post 30 yesterday by a combined score of 29-10. Down 8-5 in the seventh inning against Albany 30 and on the brink of elimination, Cole Peeples hit a three-run homer to tie and Kale Blacksher knocked in the go-ahead run that advanced them to the tourney's next round.
- Rockdale will start lefty Drew Rodgers in its 9 a.m. game today against Canton.