By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Phone call received before shooting incident
Deputy reportedly shot while serving warrant
Georgia Bureau of Investigations agents arrive on the scene to investigate the shooting incident. - photo by Robert Porter

A Rockdale County Sheriff's Office deputy was reportedly shot sometime before 1 p.m. today while serving a warrant at a home on Sandhill Drive, near Honey Creek Drive.

Information about the deputy's condition remains unconfirmed by the sheriff's office. He was reportedly taken to an emergency room earlier in the day.

Mary Brown, the wife of the Terry Brown who lived in the house where the warrant was being served, said she received a call from him saying the police were at his house.

"He said, ‘Baby, I love you, and call my Mama and tell her I love her too.'"

When she got that call, she dropped what she was doing and rushed over from DeKalb to the house to find the street taped off and patrol cars lining the road.

"They won't talk to me, they won't tell me nothing. I was showing them the paper that said my name was on the house," she said, her voice breaking.

"I don't know. I just don't know... I know he's probably dead," said Brown. She said only her husband and another woman who was moving out lived in the Sandhill Drive house.

Brown described how she and her husband Terry, a truck driver, had spent the day together on Friday. She had teased him about not receiving any flowers or gifts and the two had talked about Mother's Day and about their 18-year-old son.

A neighbor, Kelly Howard, who lives across Honey Creek Road from that end of Sandhill Drive said she had heard the commotion.

"I heard a noise. It didn't sound like a gunshot per se. And then the dogs started howling. And I thought, ‘Something's weird.' And I walked out and a police officer pulled out this way. And next thing I know, there were 35 cars here."

She said she had never seen police operations or arrests in the neighborhood, although she said there was occasionally strange traffic traveling through.

Georgia Bureau of Investigations personnel were seen pulling into the crime scene about 3 p.m.

Check back to for updates.