IN BRIEF: More than 200 members and guests gathered for the 57th annual meeting of the Conyers-Rockdale Chamber of Commerce this afternoon at the Georgia Interational Horse Park, recognizing exceptional community service, highlighting Chamber programs, and passing the gavel to the new leadership for the 2011 year.
Outgoing chair of the Conyers-Rockdale Chamber of Commerce Bill Daniels passed the gavel to new chairman Mo Talley.
Some of the awards given to individuals and companies include the following:
- Rockdale County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Samuel King was awarded the United Way "Stepping Up to the Plate" award. Rockdale County commissioners read a resolution naming Jan. 11, 2011 after King.
- Snapping Shoals EMC recieved the Education Partner of the Year award.
- The Anne Waldrop Community Appearance award went to the Corner Market, accepted by David Roeper and presented by past Chamber chairwoman Betty Straw-Brown.
- The Community Spirit Award was given to Jim 'N Nick's, presented by Mike Hilleboe and accepted by local owner Brian Lyman, accompanied by general manager Jeremy Chambers and local store marketer Gary Bridgewater.
- The James P. Culpepper Volunteer of the Year award went to outgoing board of governance member Joe Rhodes and was presented by past Chamber chair John Kelly.
- The A.R. Gus Barksdale Lifetime Achievment Award went to Ed Conway, Lakeview Action Committee founder and executive director of the Mercy Heart free medical clinic. The award was presented by past Chamber chair Ron Simpson.
Check back for the full story on www.rockdalenews.com