By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Grease fire evicts family
Placeholder Image

Hot oil left on the stove caught fire Friday evening, burning down the Forest Villa home of a family with teens.

Around 10:30 p.m. on July 13, Rockdale County firefighters received a call of a grease fire at 1143 Forest Villa Drive, according to Rockdale County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Sharon Webb. By the time firefighters arrived, the kitchen was fully involved in smoke and flames, said Webb.

The family living in the two-story duplex had fried up some chicken and french fries for dinner earlier that night and had reportedly left the stove on with the hot oil.

By the time the adult male resident stepped back in the kitchen after being outside, flames and smoke were coming from the stove and kitchen.

"It was already out of control," said Webb.

The man called out to the teenagers who were upstairs and everyone was able to escape without injury, said Webb.

However, the family's rented home was a total loss, said Webb. The family reportedly did not have insurance.

Red Cross was called to assist the family.

No one was in the other side of the duplex, which sustained water damage, at the time of the fire. Webb said it was not known if there were residents living there or if it was vacant.

Firefighters left the scene around 1:30 a.m.