By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Firefighters have busy Thanksgiving
Placeholder Image

The Rockdale County Fire Department had a buys Thanksgiving, responding to three incidents on Thursday.

The first was a shooting at Millcrest Walk Apartments at 11:45 a.m. A brush fire followed at 3 p.m., caused by downed power lines. The fire occurred between Shoal Creek Elementary School and the Shoal Creek subdivision. Three engines responded to different areas, and remained on scene for about 1 1/2 hours.

The most involved call occurred at about 6:30 p.m. at a house on Meadow Springs Drive.

The fire started in the back of the house and went up to the attic and loft area, and may have been related to preparing the Thanksgiving meal.

"We think, given the time of day, and where it looks like it started, that we're leaning toward some type of cooking," said Deputy Fire Chief Dan Morgan.

Once the residents had finished eating, they saw the fire up in the attic area.

Five engines, one ladder, one squad and a battalion chief, comprising about 22 firefighters, were on scene from about 6:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.

There were no injuries, but the wood-framed house was heavily damaged.

"One estimator predicted the damage at probably 40 to 50 percent of the home value," Morgan said.