By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire started by laptop left on sofa
Placeholder Image

A house fire ignited when a laptop left on sofa reportedly overheated and caught on fire Monday evening.

Firefighters responded to a call by the resident of 603 Lake Ridge around 6: 30 p.m. When they arrived, they could see flames and heavy smoke visible from the outside of the ranch-style house and the living room was ablaze. They were able to put the fire out quickly and left the scene around 7 p.m.

The resident had reportedly left the laptop on the living room sofa and accidentally covered it with an overthrow blanket, trapping the heat. The sofa the caught on fire. The resident called 911 and she and a neighbor tried to put the fire out with a garden hose but they weren't able to douse the flames by that time.

No one was injured in the fire. The resident lived at the house with children and her fiancé, but no one else was home at the time.

The house, owned by the resident's fiancé, suffered heat and smoke damage, and damages were estimated around $65,000. The owner did have home owner's insurance.

Fire inspector Phil Norton warned against leaving electronics, especially laptops, on beds and sofas, as they can become very hot very quickly.