Financial aid experts will be available to assist college-bound students and their families complete and submit the FAFSA at this year's College Goal Georgia event held Sunday, Feb. 9, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. at Rockdale Career Academy, 1064 Culpepper Drive.
There will also be two presentations regarding the financial aid process at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Filling out the FAFSA is the first critical step in applying for federal and state grants, loans and scholarships to help pay for college. The federal government requires a FAFSA from all students seeking financial aid for college. College Goal Georgia, part of the national College Goal SundaySM initiative, is sponsored by the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC). This is a free event where volunteers help students and families who need assistance completing the FAFSA.
This year, students can enter to win an iPad and grocery and gas cards will be raffled off to participating families at each event. Light refreshments will be available.
WHAT TO BRING:
1. Your Social Security Number (can be found on Social Security card)
2. Your FAFSA PIN (http://www.pin.ed.gov/PINWebApp/pinindex.jsp)
3. Your driver's license (if any)
4. Your W-2 Forms for the previous year and other records of money earned
5. Your (and your spouse's, if you are married) 2010 Federal Income Tax Return - IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040Telefile, foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia
6. Your parent's Federal Income Tax Return for the previous year (if you are a dependent student as defined by federal criteria)
7. Your current bank statements
8. Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
9. Your documentation that states you are a U.S. permanent resident or other eligible non-citizen.
Parents and students should also bring their latest tax information and/or last pay stub from the previous year in order to complete the form. The FAFSA form allows families to estimate their financial information, which can be corrected after their taxes have been completed.
All information reviewed by the College Goal Georiga volunteers will be kept private and confidential and will not be used for any purpose other than helping the students and families apply for financial aid. Students' and family identities will be protected to the best extent possible and none of the information being requested will be sent to vendors for other purposes besides applying for aid.
For more information, contact your child's school counselor or visit collegegoalga.com